Monday, August 14, 2006

White Noise

The power went out Saturday night in the middle of the night. I remember seeing a flash and rolled over and didn’t think more of it. I believe the last time I looked at the clock was about 1:30am so I think the power was out starting from 2 am or so. I woke a couple hours later (I usually wake many times during the night) and I noticed how very dark it was….and QUIET. I thought for a moment ‘it’s always darkest just before dawn’, and then I looked at my clock radio. It wasn’t there. I thought someone had taken it. (dumb eh? Sleepy I guess) I even reached out to touch it. I looked over at the house alarm panel and could see that the trouble light was on. It was so dark and quiet…..it was nice! I got up and walked down the hall to Aaron’s empty bedroom. From there I can usually see the flashing traffic light through two townhouses. There was nothing but blissful darkness. Our garages at the townhouse complex usually have pot-lights on all night and it was all darkness. It reminded me of camping in the middle of no-where. No electricity at all. It is truly impressive how quiet it all is when you remove the ‘white noise’ of life. You just don’t realize the noise (and light) pollution of everyday life. I’m talking about the buzz of light fixtures, computers/servers humming in an empty room, the fridge running etc.

Remove it all and….it is peaceful.


I miss my days of camping in the wilderness. It was a few years ago. A relationship ago. I don't think I'll ever have that same kind of experience again. But that is not what this post is about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home