Sunday, August 20, 2006

What to do about Tiger?

I haven't done anything about Tiger. Two weeks ago I called the local Animal Protection Society and left a voice message. They never take calls but respond the next day. I left a message saying I was in a position that I might have to put my older cat down and do they have room for him? I never got a call back. That kinda really ticks me off. Okay. I know they are pretty full. Well, the last time we were there they were FULL with over 300 cats. The shelter is a very comfortable confined (as in protected) spacious place for cats - on acreage. We got Lucy there last August. If you haven't been following, Tiger is much older and he's been peeing on the floor, the counters and the stove top. Recently he turned around and crapped in the dry food bowl and there was blood in the soft stool. I can't pay $290 for a medical diagnosis just to find that he's either going to die anyway or he can be maintained on expensive drugs for who knows how long.

ANYWAY, I've decided I can't 'off' the poor guy just because he is incontinent and inconvenient. Can you imagine living in the house with a family member and you walk by and make eye contact and smile and one of you is thinking "I'm going to have you killed...." It just isn't right and I can't do it. The poor bastard has no idea. I sit here ruminating about him and he walks in like always, glances over, continues on his way. Eventually he jumps up on to the sofa next to me and massages my full bladder. I guess he likes it here. After all, he adopted us 3 or 4 years ago. He just showed up on our door step one day. He was curled up in the sunlight on our door matt like he owned the place. He was very tentative to come in at first but we made him welcome and did not pressure him and he stayed. Lucky for us he didn't bring any friends!

Tiger was looking pretty sickly last year so we decided to get another cat, a "back up" if you will. Lucy is a handful. I said I wanted a more affectionate, cuddly cat but she and I just don't gel for some reason. I guess that's just the way it is sometimes - even with animals - let alone people. I'm not going to agonise about it but the redeeming thing is that she can be pretty okay at times.

Tiger goes for some time before having a problem. But I came home yesterday from a day trip to find dried pee in the dining room and this morning woke up to bloody poo on the outside of the litter box. I am proud to say that I did not huff or have a fit when I discovered either of these transgressions. Maybe I am getting soft in my old age. (but not as soft as Tiger's poo...)



2 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

The new hair is Cute! ( 7 so is Kitty!) Sorry to hear all you're goin thru with Tiger.. I hope a .. tolerable solution presents itself..
Take care Hon!

4:47 PM  
Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

So sorry to hear about the troubles with Tiger. I hope you figure something out. I, unfortunately, have no words of wisdom to add.

BTW, love your haircut!!!!!!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home