Saturday, December 24, 2005

Bill’s Christmas Eve Tourtiere

Bill is from Montreal. He is not French Canadian but he likes a traditional Tourtiere on Christmas Eve. It is a pork meatpie that is eaten before mid-night Mass. (Only we won't be waiting until that late and we don't go to Mass.)

This is my first time making one and I have the filling simmering on the stove right now. As far as I can tell I am right on track. It is looking just as it should and preliminary tasting says it is gonna be good and will garner me two thumbs up from Bill. But then, he is very very rarely disappointed in the food I make.

It is a simple recipe. I am using frozen pie crust and half beef and half pork. I have blended the recipe found at Allrecipes with one from my Aunt France who is definitely French Canadian. I have omitted cinnamon and added a bit of poultry seasoning. Maybe you’ll try it sometime. Click here for Meat Pie (Tourtiere). I'm serving a salad and a nice bottle of Merlot with it.

3 Comments:

Blogger havlow said...

Interesting stuff there I wasn't aware of a lot of the traditional meals you were referring to. It's always interesting to see what people eat and what they do for christmas. Hope you are having a wonderful holiday!!


Jeremy

8:51 AM  
Blogger FV Tom said...

Wow, that looks mighty good. And like Jeremy, hearing about everybody's traditions is pretty cool.

Tom

6:14 PM  
Blogger Alex Trenoweth said...

Thanks for the jokes!!
Love, P

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home