Friday, January 06, 2006

Free Day Friday

Today's Quote
"Some cause happiness wherever they go;
others whenever they go."
Oscar Wilde

It was a good UBWO today, though I didn’t make it through all the weight stages. I’ll tell you why.

Since the upgrades at my gym they got rid of the weight set I used to use. It progressed nicely from 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25 lb dumbbells etc. I now have a jump from 5, 10, 15, 20+ lb dumbbells. I had a nice (successful) routine going with my BFL workout of 8, 10, 12 and maxing out at 15 lbs for six reps.

Now I have only 5, 10, and 15 lbs to work with. Sounds like a piece of cake doesn’t it? But in reality these dumbbells are 7, 12 and 17 lbs and boy, that jump to 17 lbs I am not ready for.

Well, I can do the Military press alright with the 15’s. I really hit a 10 on that today with my rep of 8 but there’s no way I can lift the 20 yet (22 lbs in reality counting the handle). So I’ll just plug away at this. I’ll have to modify the program and know that when I CAN finally lift that 20 for even one rep – wahoo! - I’ll know I’ve reached the next level.

This kind of started me thinking…should I try Creatine to get over this hump? Naw, what’s the point if I can lift 20 lbs but I feel miserable because I feel fat and bloated!? I think it will be much more satisfying to me to bridge that gap all on my own power.

So tonight is Free Meal. Friday is Pizza Night. It’s a Flame Pizza – hot chilis in the tomato sauce, hot cappicolli, hot pepperoni, green peppers and mushrooms. Remember – HOT food raises the metabolism! I’m enjoying my white wine – though I plan to be back on the water for the weekend. (Hey Tom, what brand of beer is it you drink? That’s pretty much like water to us up here anyway.)

Joke of the day
Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin was invited to address a major gathering of First Nations two weeks ago in Northern Canada. He spoke for almost an hour on his future plans for increasing every Native's present standard of living, should he be re-elected. He also referred to his career as Finance Minister. Although the Prime Minister was vague on the details of his plan, he seemed most enthusiastic about his future ideas for helping his "red sisters and brothers". At the conclusion of his speech, the Tribes presented him witha plaque inscribed with his new Indian name - Walking Eagle. The proud Prime Minister then departed in his motorcade, waving to the crowds. A news reporter later inquired of the group of chiefs as to howthey came to select the new name given to the Prime Minister. They explained that Walking Eagle is the name given to a birdso full of shit it can no longer fly.

3 Comments:

Blogger FV Tom said...

Hey Jen,

Beer - hang with me here a moment. My favorite beer is FREE, as in if your buying, I'm drinking. My next favorite is COLD, as in ICE COLD, which I'm sure you understand. My daily beer is Bud Light. Trying to keep some of the calories down. But when we eat out, I try to have a dark beer from whatever country we are eating: Tsingtao with Chinese, Negro Modelo with Mexican, etc.

Thanks for the joke. I can always count on you!

As for the weights, I think if you continue with the new weights for a while, your body will get stronger and you will be able to move to the higher weights. I think, don't quote me.

Oh yeah, one more thing: You had me going on the pizza. I have never met a pizza I didn't like and yours sounded great. Until you got to the white wine. Come on, girl, pizza and wine doesn't even sound right!:)

Be good.

5:08 PM  
Blogger havlow said...

mmmmmmmm beer...mine I was doing so well and now you've got me thinking about a nice warm german style lager....mmmmmmm. Okay that's enough now. Hope you don't let the weight situation get you down too much Jennifer. Hopefully it's just a nice little motivational tool to get you closer to your goals...or at least strong enough to start curling the son of yours if he gets out of line :)

10:20 PM  
Blogger FV Tom said...

Jen - where'd you go? Life needs your jokes!

Hope all is well.

Tom

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home